Augmented Reality (AR) has been touted as the next technology that will take the world by storm, but the lack of practical smartglasses that can be worn all day has held this back. Lucyd, a UK-based tech company, is set on being the 1st to market with lightweight, prescription-ready AR smartglasses. It would also be the 1st company to fund R&D & launch a mainstream product of such magnitude through an Initial Coin Offering (ICO).
The company has already licensed 13 innovative AR patents and put together a team of leading-edge experts in optics, AR & ergonomics. The patents enable ergonomic smartglasses & were developed by a group of researchers at the University of Central Florida’s Center for Optics and Photonics.
The patents & tech roadmap calls for a product with the following features (the product launch is planned for Q1 2019):
- Powered on/off by unfolding/folding stems
- Ultra-wide, enhanced field of view (EFV) – 120-degrees
- Bone-conducting earphones flush in stems
- Front camera for photo/video capture & object occlusion
- LED flashes red when photo/video captured is enabled
- Microphone mounted on the rim for voice control & calling
- Advanced eye tracking for optimizing field of vision
- Sleek form factor with no buttons, switches or wires
- Next-gen LCD microdisplays for HD visuals in center & periphery
- Wired charging through charging mat
- Can be fitted with corrective lenses, designed for comfortable extended use
The utility token for the ICO is blockchain-based & will be used for purchasing smartglasses & apps & to reward developers for well-rated apps. It will also enable smartglass-based P2P transactions. The overall market potential for AR products is estimated by Greenlight Insights to be US$ 36.4 Billion. Lucyd is part of a Tekcapital, a well-regarded UK IP investment company. Team tokens will be locked up for 12 months post-ICO.
Lucyd’s ICO is aimed at funding further development & production readiness, & will continue through the end of February 2018. Tokens in excess of 1.35 Million LCD have already been sold as of the writing of this article (1 LCD=US$0.25). The fundraising goal is for US$ 10 million & a total of 50,000,000 LCD tokens are available during the ICO. Tokens are being listed on major exchanges & all major currencies are accepted, as well as BTC & ETH.